BAD News on Timing Chain!

From: A. S. (adakota4x4@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 12:36:10 EST

  I knew something would go wrong. Worked on the truck Saturday. It took
me several hours to get to the timing chain, but I did. Everything went
fairly smooth. Went over to AutoZone and "borrowed" a harmonic balance
puller and a 32mm socket (saved me about $25). So, Saturday night I had
everything off, all parts clean of gasket and dirt, and the new tensioner
and timing chain on. Planned on reassembling everything Sunday after the
race.
  So, everything is going great.....get the timing chain cover on without
any problem after slightly oiling the chain. Next up, harmonic balancer and
crank bolt. Problem, crank bolt won't go in. After some thought, and a few
choice words, I realize that the harmonic balance puller was the culprit.
It seems that it screwed up the threads in the crank. So, unless someone's
got another idea, I guess I'll get a big a** tap and try to fix it....along
with a new bolt.
  I KNEW things were going tooooo smooth.
--Aaron--
95 DSRC 4x4 V6