RE: RE: Re: Re: 4.7 to 3.7 = more problems???

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 00:19:41 EST

Curt, I've tried the truck without any grille in it at all(I pulled the
stock stuff out when I put in the speed grille,then I removed the speed
grille and ran it like that for a week).Made no difference.I usually shift
at 1800 rpm.I generally drive 45mph @ 1600rpm in 5th.the truck runs real
nice right there. I have had it to 70 for like 3 minutes once,but I didn't
like the way it felt.It was like the motor was really straining to hold the
speed and the truck was "floating",like it didn't hold the road as well at
that kind of speed.I don't know wether I'm doing damage to the motor,as I
try not to lug it too bad.I don't make turns in 4th and crap like that,etc.I
do change the diff fluid at every service, but I've quit doing the tranny
fluid.The fluid is fairly expensive and with the tranny acting up anyway, I
figured I was just throwing good maney after bad. Check Matt's post about
the valve covers, I think he explained that there was in fact two different
castings.I do know that mine are pretty rough looking and that I"ve seen
worse on a 4.7L GC,and some nearly as bad on 2-3 other Y2K Dakota/Durangos.I
appreciate your concern and take it into consideration.Thanks for the
criticism-it may posess me to be a little less "nutty".Hope that you're
enjoying your Dakota at least as much as I am! Thanks again,

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/hd5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html