I think I'm making myself misunderstood here......

From: Will Coughlin (willcoughlin@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 10:06:12 EST

Ok, I think most of you misunderstand what I'm trying to do with my
Dakota.My Dakota was given to me.I just think I owe it to my father to take
care of it to the best of my ability.I've never been one to cuase abuse to
vehicles on purpose.When I drive other people's vehicles for my business or
at my other job(I AM a mechanic during the week), I do not "hot-rod" them.
I'm not "scared" of high rpms, as I may have suggested.I just don't find it
anywhere near neceassary for what I do with my truck.My Uncle, who I spend
as much time with as I can(He has prostate cancer that has spread to
back,and I don't know what I'll do when he passes-he's taught me so
much),basically taught me how to care for a vehicle.He has& has had lots of
high-mileage vehicles.His '80 model Chevrolet 4x4(350 4-bolt,SM465
4-speed,NP205,3.73 axles)has 360,XXX miles on the original,unopened
drivetrain(It has always been shifted at about 16-1800 rpm and it cruises at
1800-1900.It's never "had the soot blown out of it") His 1961 model
Chevrolet C-60 10-wheeler has 480,XXX miles on the original,unopened
drivetrain.He drives it up and down the east coast,and runs the 427 at 4000
rpms all day long( I replace the valvesprings,rockers,and lifters every
fall,and I had the heads completely off this fall for a total rework).It was
built to take it,though.The Dodge D300 custom I use at work and what not has
530,000 on the originsl transmission & rearend(NP435 wide-ratio,Dana 60 rear
5.13 gear).The original 318 cu.in. motor failed in the Dodge when another
boy decided he would "blow the soot out of 'er"(bent a pushrod,then dropped
a valve which in turn took out #3 piston). Now I work on cars all day long
and you can definitely tell most of the ones that have been given hell.I
have also built cars/trucks that are "built",as in built to take some
serious abuse.The 327 I built 2 years ago has been making 7.90(1/8
mi.)passes since the day it was built.2 years later, it still turns the same
numbers.It sees 7000 rpm on a pretty regular basis.Now,that said, What does
everybody think that I should be doing with my Dakota? Should I drive it the
way I have been,or should I get out and give it hell to see what I can tear
up?? The transmission's already on it's way out,what should I aim for next?
Blow the bottom end of the motor apart? Break the spiders out of the
rearend? How many rpm's should it turn on a daily basis? Maybe I'll go make
a pass at the strip just to see how much wear I can cause on a pickup truck
that I have to rely on to get me everywhere I need to go.Sorry if I sound a
little annoyed. I just get frustrated when I try to take care of things that
mean alot to me and people look down on me for it. Please, give me input on
how better to make my Dakota last longer.After all, that's all I'm trying to
do for it. I just want to see it stay with me for as long as possible.Please
give me some feedback on this. I apparently need help as to how to better
care for my Dakota.

Will Coughlin willcoughlin@hotmail.com
'00 reg.cab,2wd,4.7L/hd5-spd/3.92sg(9.25")
http://www.geocities.com/willcoughlin/index.html