Re: Really Po-boy air intake (idea)

From: Grady Ogburn (jgo@uswest.net)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2001 - 00:26:14 EST

> [snip] And as I
> understand the purpose of air intake systems like the Airaid is to draw
the
> air from around it, in the engine compartment. So my question is why
can't I
> just cut a large hole out of the side of the black box thing that my air
> filter sits in (below the filter obviously). This would use the K&N
filter
> and draw air from the engine compartment like the Airaid system.

There's no benefit to drawing air from the engine compartment -- it'll be
warmer in most cases than the ambient air, and the purpose of the cold air
intake is, well, cold air. That's why the K&N FIPK kits come with a piece
of pre-fabbed sheet, to compartmentalize the filter element away from the
warmed air around the engine. Another purpose/benefit is less restrictive,
higher capacity flow. The stock airbox on my '98 opened into the fender
well -- you'd be better off leaving it like that on yours, until you're
ready to spring for the po-boy parts or the whole kit.

Grady Ogburn
'98 Sport CC 4x4 5.2l, 5 Speed, 3.55 LSD
Mesa Headers & Cat, K&N FIPK, F&B Billet TB
JET PCM, MSD 6A, Magnecor 8.5, Autolite 3923s
Gibson/MagnaFlow 3" Exhaust
Leer Topper