Re: Aamco Trans Ripped Me Off (long)

From: steve preston (steve239dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 22:40:28 EST

Wow,Tom,that`s a touchy situation.They will probably
not exercise the greatest caution and care putting it
back together for you to take it elsewhere,but who
knows.Forget the BS about them being able to use
Taiwanese parts to save you money.That`s a crock and
1/2.(I suppose they have an itemized flat rate guide
on the wall with a list of countries out from the
price!) That statement alone would tell me that they
gave you a purposely inflated estimate with
"bargaining room" included.I`d tell them to put it
together,take it back to the guy you know,and have him
check it to make sure they did not do anything to it
out of spite. Steve P.
--- "Tom (Silver89)" <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone - I need input - heres the story
>
> About a year ago I started having trans problems -
> they kept getting
> worse - but because I could still drive it in the
> city with minimal
> trouble I figured I would wait.
>
> Well now I need it for a road trip and I go to get
> the trans taken care
> of. I take it to a shop where I know the guys well
> - and he has a 96 3
> speed auto w/od. 800 bucks installed - used trans.
> says its solid.
> But he comes back and says the 96 wont work with my
> 89. I asked a
> couple DMLers and they said it would. Well the guy
> at the shop says
> hes working ona couple cars now with trans problems.
> To stop by later
> on. Well this past Tuesday the 6th, I decided I
> want going to wait -
> and I took it to an Aamco - just for an estimate.
> They said it would be
> $969 for a basic rebuild. Not including anything
> else. I thought it
> was a fair price so I said go ahead with it Today
> they get back to me
> and say the overdrive gears and everything need to
> be replaced. I knew
> the overdrive was bad - but he originally told me
> that the overdrive may
> still be good. And told me somthing along the lines
> of that there was
> possibly some other reason why the overdrive was not
> working. Oh yeah
> - the symptoms were reverse gear slipping and making
> grindng sounds...
> and the over drive would not work - it was for a
> time, lurching whenever
> it went into OD as if it wasnt getting any power
> from the engine all of
> a sudden. And then just recently it klunked and it
> was grinding - but I
> could still accelorate. (I was driving with the OD
> turned off every
> time I drove it)
>
> Now they said that to get new overdrive - it would
> cost 1$800 - to have
> them rebuild it would cost $1125. That would be in
> ADDITION to the
> $969 basic rebuild, plus about $229 for a torque
> conv. The grand total
> would be $2386.75
>
> Well I'm not an expert with transmissions - but I
> knew this was wrong.
> And so far everyone I have talked to - including the
> shop where I was
> originally going to take it... has said they are
> taking me to the
> cleaners.
>
> I need opinions here... I need to know what course
> of action to take
> next.
>
> Oh I left out some important detail. I called aamco
> - and told them that
> the people I have talked with say its way too much.
> I said I'm not sure
> I want you guys to finish the job. He says - well
> [...]

=====
Steve Preston 1999 Dakota Sport 3.9V6,4x4,3.92 Anti-spin,42RE auto,Intense Blue,regular cab.