Re: Nothing Is Easy!

From: Shane Moseley (smoseley@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sat Mar 24 2001 - 00:59:43 EST

Kyle Kozubal wrote:

> Thanks for all the info you have provided Shane,.....the A/F Ratio gauge is
> in the mail
> coming from Summit.

Cool - let us know if you run into any problems installing it. I ran into a few
- first off, my FSM was wrong re: the colors of the wires going to the sensors.
Use a voltmeter (with 1M input impedence or higher) to test which one it is.
The impedence setting is important because you might fry the O2 sensor if your
meter feeds too much current through it. You should see the range 0-1V when hot
(will be closer to 1V when cold = rich). It will slowly begin to oscillate
around 0.45V (14.7 to 1) when it warms up (within 100 seconds or so). Usually
you will have 4 wires - 1 for the heater voltage (12V), 1 for heater voltage
ground (0V), 1 for signal (what the meter reads + voltage from), and 1 for a
signal ground (what the meter reads the - from). Oh yeah - if you use a frame
(or other) ground, you might not get the actual reading that the PCM is getting
hence the signal ground.

Lastly - be careful when routing the signal wires especially around the
exhaust. I melted a few during trial-and-error and tripped a few MIL codes (O2
sensor voltage too high/low).

Good luck,

Shane

--
'96 IndyRam-HisIndy-MPI/TB/Pulleys/AccelCoil/MPComp/HookerSuperComps/CompTAs
'96 IndyRam-HerIndy-numbered(#142)"Track Truck"