Re: I Hate Drum Brakes!

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 18:45:22 EST

> Subject pretty much says it all... Under some pretty heavy deceleration
(from
> the highway slowing down for an exit that snuck up on me) I start feeling
the
> ABS go to work on the rear and lose braking power. The roads are dry and
> wasn't braking that hard so I get out and check... Driver's side drum
cowl is
> cold and the passenger side cowl nearly gives me 3rd degree burns. Sh*$!
> figure it's seized and take it into the shop to check it out. $213 and
change
> later I have new wheel cylinders, shoes, etc on the rear. The mech. said
> everything was totally rusted out and the drivers side drum wasn't working
at
> all. What bugs me the most is I've only got 39k miles on the rig!

Yikes Tom! Did they have to replace the drums or just turn them? My truck's
wheel cylinders lasted 125,000 miles........and only one was slightly
leaking. I replaced both with lifetime parts, I think they were $15 each.
Odd that the wheel cylinders were shot with that low of mileage. I could
possibly see the rear shoes being worn at that mileage, possibly. My truck's
rear shoes typically last for 45,000-50,000 miles, and that is with the much
smaller drums/shoes compared to GenIII trucks. Oh well!
The rear drums are expensive, as I think I paid $45 per drum. Well atleast
it is fixed now and driving your truck will be alot safer, and more
enjoyable.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6