Re: New Owner/Member

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 16:05:39 EST

At 10:57 AM 3/30/01 -0800, you wrote:
> <SNIP>
>First question (which may have already been asked/answered a million times
>before I got here):
>As a new "to the truck" owner, would it be worthwhile disconnecting the
>battery to resest the computer? I'd like to get the computer used to my
>shifting patterns, because at 83¢ a litre I want to get the best mileage I
>can! And if I recall correctly I read that it only needs to be disconnected
>for about 15 minutes, right? J. Craig Moddle

Welcome to the list.

It wouldn't hurt and it's a simple thing to do.

Some have suggested that, after removing the -ive battery cable,
just turn the key to START and hold for about 15 sec. to completely
discharge anything in the computer. I've read tips from a DC mechanic
that this isn't necessary ... just disconnect cable and then reconnect.
He asserted that he had an explanation but not give it. I have no idea
which is the case.

I'd just disconnect the cable when you get home if you're staying awhile
and reconnect before you leave.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG