Castrol Syntec Oil - Way Long

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 16:30:17 EDT

Castrol North America had the following rebuttal to an article in the
November issue of Car and Driver. This deals with some interpretation as to
how Castrol Syntec is manufactured. Others on this list and others have
mentioned the controversies regarding Castrol Syntec vs Mobil 1, etal. This
may not straighten it all out but at least it's a start. I will continue to
use Castrol Syntec and will have my oil analyzed at intervals. I will
publish my findings.

There was another finding published by Bernd on the Dodge Dakotas forum.
Castrol North America indicated that their answer to those findings are
answered in this rebuttal as well. I don't entirely agree with that, but
that's me.

Here is the rebuttal:

Dear Valued Customer:

You may have seen an article by Patrick Bedard in the November issue of Car
and Driver, which, unfortunately, makes several incorrect and misleading
statements about Castrol Syntec. Mr. Bedard's article rehashes a two-year
old controversy between Mobil 1 and Syntec - a controversy that was
resoundingly resolved in Syntec's favor by the National Advertising Division
of the Better Business Bureau.

In 1998, Castrol upgraded Syntec, by switching to a new and specially
engineered hydroisomerized base stock. Before we made the change, we
conducted an extensive proprietary testing program that proved that the new
hydroisomerized base stock allowed us to blend a synthetic product that was
superior to the old PAO formula. Rather than attempt to compete in the
marketplace, Mobil - a major manufacturer of PAO base stock - challenged us
before the NAD.

The challenge backfired when the NAD, relying on industry standards and the
extensive expert testimony of leading scientists here and in Europe,
rejected Mobil's position and completely upheld our position. After months
of study, the NAD agreed that Syntec is fully synthetic. As the NAD found,
the assumption of both Mobil and Mr. Bedard that there is only one way to
formulate a synthetic motor oil is plain wrong. No two conventional motor
oils, synthetic blends or full synthetic motor oils are formulated exactly
the same way. Motor oil manufacturers have different formulation
philosophies: we are proud to say that Castrol's philosophy is one of
continual innovation, leading-edge technology, and ultimate performance.
Syntec continues to deliver on all of these fronts.

Mr. Bedard's article includes several significant mistakes:

        1. Syntec is made with "petroleum base stock"
                Syntec is not made with petroleum base stock. Just as PAO is derived from
complex chemical
                reactions starting with ethylene gas, Syntec's base stock is synthesized
using sophisticated processes and chemical reactions. The molecular
structures of the starting compounds are
                fundamentally altered to produce a fluid with vastly improved properties
capable of attaining the highest levels of formulated synthetic lubricant
performance.

        2. PAO results in a more stable fluid, with low temperature flow, and
resistance to boiling off and oxidation.
                The inference here is that Syntec's base stock does not provide these
properties, which it does. Syntec's performance in these areas is
unsurpassed. It meets the toughest industry standards.

        3. Syntec's base stock cost half as much as Mobil 1's.
                Mr. Bedard quotes a statement from Lubricants World that does not pertain
to the base stock Castrol buys for Syntec. In truth, Mr. Bedard has
absolutely no information about the production costs of our product.
Syntec's formulation is made of the highest quality synthetic base oils,
plus very specific additives, which together deliver the superior
qualities consumers look for in synthetic oils.

        4. The industry credentials listed on Syntec's label are "beside the point
for U.S. passenger cars."
                The list of industry credentials that Syntec passes are extremely relevant
to the ultimate quality of the oil, and thus the advanced protection
provided to Syntec users. These credentials are further
                evidence that Syntec provides the highest level of performance available.
Syntec is engineered to
                surpass the minimum performance levels specified the U.S. auto makers for
the mass market.

        5. The only performance claim that would "have real meaning" for consumers
is extended oil life.
                Unlike Mr. Bedard, Castrol has extensive experience with the real needs of
the motor oil consumer.
                Consumers continue to tell us that the most important things they are
looking for are advanced
                performance and protection for their engines - precisely the package that
Syntec delivers.

        6. The statement on the Syntec label, that Syntec "exceeds" industry
standards does not indicate that it also meets them.
                As any dictionary will confirm, a product that "exceeds" a standard meets
it, and that's the case with Syntec. We would never claim to exceed
industry standards that we did not actually meet. Castrol not only
continues to stand by the high quality of the Syntec formula, but also the
high quality of the relationship we have with our consumers.

Mr. Bedard's article illustrates the old adage that a little knowledge is a
dangerous thing. Luckily, the issues Mr. Bedard attempts to raise were
fully considered - and resolved in our favor - after a full hearing before
the NAD. We regret that Mr. Bedard ignored or misunderstood that record and
chose not to work with Castrol to get the real story. We trust that you and
other knowledgeable consumers will not be misled by his article.

If you have further questions, we are always happy to answer them.

Best regards,

Paul Waterman
General Manager, Retail

Ron