RE: Center console power mod

From: Tod Oace (tod@quay.com)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 17:32:13 EDT

> Isn't electronics great??!! Man i love them. I have hookup for
> the laptop
> as well, and am looking into the GPS Laptop Tracking system...GPS
> is USB'd
> to laptop..and tracks your trip on a map.

I actually already have delorme.com's Street Atlas USA 8.0 and a garmin.com
Etrex hand-held GPS. The tracking works really well. The route planning
works pretty well too, although you have to be wary. One time we dead ended
at someone's house mid-route.

The Etrex was inexpensive, but the power + serial cable was a ridiculous
$40.

I'm interested in replacing the Etrex with something permanent to help
reduce wire clutter and so that it'll automatically turn on and off with the
truck.

> You have me thing about trying
> and geting goodies back into my stock console....

Hopefully that's a good thing. If not...sorry! :-)

> Hmmmmmm.... My scanner unit
> might be too wide though... ill have to check on it...
> As for the anenna situation... Its really quite easy. There are
> abunch of
> ways to go about it. Once you get your location figured
> out....and whether
> or not you want perm-a-mount of just the magentic/clamp style.. let me
> know.. ill give you a run down of how mine are run.. as well as my strobe
> cables...as they have to be run through the body panels as well...

Cool.

About the only thing I know so far is that I don't want a magnetic mount.
Gotta keep that sucker attached when I'm finding out the fastest speed my
Dak will go. :)

I've read that roof mounts are best because of the ground plane and the
height. And I'm not necessarily afraid of drilling holes in my Dak. But if
I ever put a roof rack up there I don't want the antenna getting in the way.
And someday I'd like to get a canopy, so mounting on the bed rail won't
work. I've read bumper mounts are bad.

I saw a mount on another Dak that I really liked the look of, but I don't
know how good it was. It was sort of in front of and to the right of the
driver's mirror. I think there was a bracket sticking out from under the
hood. I don't know how the bracket was attached though.

--
Tod Oace, tod@quay.com