RE: Center console power mod

From: Tod Oace (tod@quay.com)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 17:51:41 EDT

> << Right now I'm leaning towards one of those units
> where everything is on the Mic and the rest of the CB is hidden away. >>
>
> NO NO NO NO NO. Those style cbs really suck when it comes to output and
> recieving.

Guess I'll have to take your word for it, not having much experience with
CBs. But...do you know why they're different than the regular style CB?
For example, the Cobra 75 WX ST advertises a lot of the same features as the
other Cobras. Why wouldn't it share most of the same components as the
others?

> If you want a nice little radio, look into a Cobra 25 or a Uniden
> of the same style. The Uniden can be modded to swing more power,
> but I think
> the sound of the Cobra is better. I personally use a Galaxy 88
> (really a 10
> meter radio modded to work on the 11 meter cb bands) followed up
> by a small
> linear (its only a small one, I don't know why there is 2 gauge
> wire running
> to it!! I swear!!). ;o)

Almost 1,000 watts to match your almost 1,000 HP maybe? :-)

The 10m to 11m mod sounds interesting. I wonder if the regular 10m ham
radios can be modded that way. I do have a ham license. Hmmm...

> Also, don't get cheap on me and use a
> radio shack
> (aka ripyouoff shack) cb ant. Go with a good unit.
> If you want a
> fiberglass, get either a Firestik or a Wilson ant. For a magnet mount I
> would highly recommend the Wilson 1000. It has great reception
> and transmits
> very well. I had one till I upgraded my linear (I still say it
> is a small
> one!!! lol ) and had to get the Wilson 5000 permanent mount.
> You can get a
> "peaked and tweaked" Cobra 25 for less than $100 around here and
> a Uniden can
> run about $120 for the same features as the Cobra 25. HTH

Where's your permanent mount...your roof?

I don't have a preference between fiberglass and whip. I wish I did. It'd
make my decision easier.

Do you know if those quick antenna disconnects are any good? I'm thinking
that'd be nice for the car wash. I expect the fiberglass antennas would
need to be disconnected, but maybe the whips don't?

Anyway, thanks, Will. I'll keep looking at the radios.

--
Tod Oace, tod@quay.com