clutch problems on 93 4x4

From: David Chester (nonlabel@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Apr 09 2001 - 20:30:33 EDT

About a month ago, I replaced the throwout bearing in my 93 V6 4x4. While I
was there, I replaced the pressure plate and disc, too. I didn't want to do
all that work over again!

    Well, it turns out I WILL have to do all that work over again. A couple
of days ago, the clutch simply quit functioning. It made a funny whirring
noise a couple of times, then just quit. The pedal feels normal, but no
disengagement. Thinking it was the hydraulic unit, I replaced it at
substantial cost, yet the problem remains. I check the tranny mounting
bolts, they are all tight.

Is there a common problem with these clutches? I am thinking clutch fork
bent/broken, or I received a faulty pressure plate. I did not grind the
flywheel, because it looked fine and the clutch was still good. I just
cleaned it up, and put the new plate/disc on. I torqued all the bolts to
specs. I'm really sad about having to tear all this stuff apart again,
because it took me about three days last time.

Any insight would be appreciated!!!!!

Or, if anybody has a nice 97-00 V8 5-speed regular cab for sale, maybe I'll
just get a newer one.

Dave Chester
93 Dakota 4x4