Pitman Arm problems

From: powell (scmods@ufl.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 23:18:56 EDT

I recently had a friend (ex auto mechanic) help me replace the CV boot on
my dak. He noticed play in my steering and showed me that my pitman are
needed replacing. So I got a new arm and put my $20 deposit in on the
pitman arm puller from auto zone. To make a long story short, the puller
broke completely in half before the pitman arm seperated from the steering
box. Is there a trick to getting the pitman arm off? The puller from auto
zone was pretty stout looking (for cast alum.), does anyone know where I
can get an iron puller without haveing to pay a fortune (they get pretty
expensive)? BTW, auto zone gave me my $20 deposit back even though I
returned the part broken.

Any input would be appreciated...thanks

1990 3.9 4x4 5spd 3.55 74k