Re: O2 sensor question revisited

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 01:19:01 EDT

"Chuck Robbins" <intense99dak@home.com> wrote:
> Jon,

> Thanks for the input. I was wondering something, though. I realized that
> the wires by the O2 sensor were shielded so I decided to tie into closer to
> the PCM. I found the dark green/pink wire, but in looking at the FSM again,
> it looked like that wire was for the heater element.
> I then saw the orange/tan wire going to the PCM in the diagram so I
> tapped into this one. I know that these gauges jump around, but mine goes
> from one end to the other (while the engine is cold) and it doesn't make any
> difference as far as throttle or IAT adjuster settings. Am I just not giving
> it enough time to get into closed loop or did I tap into the wrong wire?
> Does yours continually jump from one end to the other regardless of open vs.
> closed loop?

  Yep, it will bounce back and forth. Even when the engine is cold, it
does it, although not as quickly as when its warmed up. The heating elements
in the O2 sensor allow it to get accurate readings quickly after startup,
rather than having to wait until exhaust heat warms it up. If you
go out on the highway and bury the throttle, you should see it go real
rich, and it'll stay there. Likewise, if you are going down a hill and
let off on the throttle, it'll go lean and stay there.

                                              -Jon-

  .--- Jon Steiger ---------- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com ---.
  | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL |
  | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 |