My first Dak + couple questions

From: Lazlo (lazlo@best.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 05:26:26 EDT

Hi all,

I just placed my order for a 2001 Club Cab Sport(4.7, Multi-Spd Auto).
With a little luck I'll get it before the incentive deadline rolls
around, but I won't hold my breath (fleet mgr said 8-10 weeks, is
that close to normal for this time of year?) Think I have a chance
of it coming in before the July 3rd incentive deadline?

I've been pondering what I want to do to it after I finally get it
and wanted to solicit some opinions from those who have already
tossed on some aftermarket stuff. This is my first real new vehicle
(former car was a Ford POS Escort, blech) and I want to try and get
things right iwth it the first time around. I'm a newbie with this
stuff so feel free to slap me around when I say/do something really
dumb.

1) Bed Liner/Cap. After a little reading I was thinking about having
a Bedrug installed. Anyone out there have one already and is it as
resistant to everyting as they make it out to be? As for a cap for the
bed, I've seen a few different styles and just wanted to know if there
was one to definately stay away from. As far as bed usage goes, I'll
probably be hauling a mountain bike or two around once in a while and
crashing in the bed on the ocasional road trip is also a distinct
possibility (hence the thought of the bedrug). Has anyone had any luck
with the pop-up tent you can setup/tie over the bed (in lieu of a real
shell)?

2) Speed cutoff 'puter. If I don't feel like having my engine cut out
at 93 (or whatever it is), what's the computer/ROM that I'm replacing
and what's best to replace it with (assuming there's more than one option).

3) Exhaust system. I realize that they're not all created equal so I'm
looking for an upgrade to what comes stock. I'm not going to be racing this,
nor am I going to be cruising around looking to create small seismic
disturbances
in my wake. I'm looking for something that'll sound good and maybe boost
my hp a bit while not putting me further in debt than I'm going to be already.
Flowmaster duals is what i keep hearing, but I know there's more than that
out there.

4) Body/suspension lift. As mentioned earlier, I'm a newbie at this, so
here's
a basic question....What's the difference between a suspension lift and a body
lift? Keeping in mind that I'm only getting a 2x4 any lift would be for looks
only (then again, aren't most mods for looks :P). I'll probably also get the
fender flares since I did like the look of the 4x4, but wasn't going to use it
and didn't feel like paying the money just for the flares.

I also don't feel like voiding the warrantee in getting stuff done to it, so
what's the best way to find out if the place I take it to will end up voiding
it or not?

I'll thank you all in advance for the understanding and patience with my
newbie question asking self.

-Lazlo...