Shopping for a new QC - long

From: Val Lowe (vlowe@rcn.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 22:58:35 EDT

Hi,
I'm new to the list, new to Dakotas and new to trucks, in general. I need
some advice. I'm interested in buying a new 2001 QC from "dealer
stock." The options I'm looking for are:

Sport trim
4.7L auto
4 wheel ABS
Full time electric transfer case (if 4WD)
limited slip differential
bucket seats with center console
Sport plus group (AC & wheels)
Power convenience group (windows, locks, mirrors, keyless entry)
Deluxe convenience group (tilt & cruise)

I'm having trouble finding dealer stock vehicles with the above
combination, especially I have found NO trucks with any of the following: 4
wheel ABS, limited slip differential, FT 4WD or, oddly, bucket seats. I
can probably live without bucket seats (maybe I can add them later?) but I
feel like 4 wheel ABS is something I really want. I'm not sure if I need
the limited slip differential.

I'm also undecided about 4X2, 4X4. I live in the Boston area, drive in a
mostly urban/suburban environment with mixed winter conditions. Sometimes
the winter weather is moderate but other times it can be quite
heavy. (Last winter was a beaut!) This will be my daily commuter. I am
not going to drive it off road. I am moderately concerned about gas
mileage but I probably drive less than 10K miles per year. I like FT AWD,
I have it on my current vehicle (Aerostar minivan) and its great for the
kind of winter driving we have. I also have the impression that PT 4WD is
something that's really intended for off road use. I'm wondering how much
utility I will get from it given my driving habits & conditions. However,
I've heard that the FT option will noticeably impact fuel economy. Maybe I
should stick with 2WD?

Factory ordering for this model year has ceased, so I need to pick a truck
from what's out there (or wait till next year :-( ). I could use some
help prioritizing these options: 2WD, 4WD PT, 4WD FT, 4 wheel ABS, and
limited slip differential.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Please help me figure this out!

Thanks,
Val

(no Dakota ... YET!)