Re: lookin for solution

From: Gordon R. Stevens (IndyRamAL@home.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 06:04:40 EDT

Kevin,

Though I don't own a Dakota.... I assume that the clearance between the
tailgate and the bed is about the same as on my IndyRam. You may want to
consider using offset holes. What I mean is to have the hole in the bed
area about 4-5 inches away from the hole you use to enter the tailgate.
This will allow for slightly more slack in the wires. You also should
consider using some sort of connector incase you need to remove the tailgate
for some unforeseen reason in the future. Depending on the year model of
your Dakota, You may want to pay close attention to the Gen-I models that
have the third brake light in the tailgate itself. I'll bet they faced the
same situation. Also one more idea that comes to mind....

You could exit the tailgate from the side near the cable that supports the
tailgate when opened. Either wrap electrical tape around this cable to keep
the wire with it or use small wire ties. Then enter the wall of the bed
near the tail light assembly. Same thing here, I suggest using some sort of
connector to allow for thru removal if desired in the future.

If you are talking about only 2 conductors, try going to an autoparts store.
They carry a connector that looks similar to the 4 wire flat trailer wire
connector only it has 2 conductors and half the size. Make sure you solder
the connections since they will be exposed to the elements.

Gordon