Avoiding Rotor Warp

From: WOT or waiting at a Red (dakatack@home.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 10:07:44 EDT

Before you read this and flame me for being an idiot, I want you to remember
that this information from someone else and I am passing it along just in
case there is something worth wile to consider here.

According to my Mechanical Engineer friend, who studied this problem in
industrial rotor based breaking systems, the warp can often be avoided.

After hard breaking the whole rotor is hot and while the break holds the
rotor, the surface under the break pad cools much slower then the rest of
the rotor. This is one major reason rotors warp.

If after you stop, you put the gears in neutral and release the stopping
pads, problem gone.

He also suggested not washing the truck for 20 min or so after getting home.
The water spray hits the rotor everywhere but under the pad and cools those
surfaces faster, warpage again.

I asked about car washes and he said, the wheel is rolling and the whole
rotor get wet and cools evenly.

I don't know if this is good info or not. It sounds plausible to me. I'm
going to try to follow his suggestions next set of rotors, soon I hope as
the OEM ones are CRAP!

This mail list has gotten really nasty lately and I hesitate to post here
any more. Do as you will with this info, keep your flames to yourself.

Patrick O'Day
2000 Dakota 4x4, 4.7L, CC
Profile at www.dakota-truck.net/profiles/dakota/Cy9WFjn1QtCYw/profile.htm