Re: Re: Best battery type for winching?

From: My Mail (mymail@fcmi.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 10:41:14 EDT

Optima batteries are okay for cranking but for sustained current draw they
are weak. For the price of an Optima you can go to a Marine battery that
will offer the same or more cranking amps and a much greater reserve. I
believe that most of the Optima batteries are rated at 55ah. I am looking in
a West Marine catalog and a Group 30H battery is rated at 130ah...more than
double...and the list price is only 110.99. Another option for those
considering two batteries is to install two golf cart batteries (you need
two because they are 6 volt each) and enjoy over 1000 CCA and 225ah. This
will cost you about $160 - $180 for two but they can take a beating. For the
best battery money can buy, go to Rolls but be prepared to spend some money.
Their best batteries come with a 10 yr warranty.

> I'm finally getting around to working on installing my Warn M12000 on
> my Ram (BBQ is a month away!!!!) and I plan to do a dual battery system
> at the same time, the 2nd batttery being used for the winch, offroad
lights,
> etc. (Actually I'm planning on the "2nd battery" being two batteries,
> wired in parallel; I'm pretty sure I have enough room to do that.)
>
> My question is, should I use "normal" automotive batteries or deep
> cycle? Originally, I was planning on deep cycle, but upon further
> research, it seems that deep cycle batteries are designed for relatively
> low current draws over a long period of time, whereas a standard battery
> is designed for relatively high current draws over a short period of time.
> Based on that, it would seem to me that winching has more in common
> with cranking an engine than it does with say, running a refrigerator
> or a television. The main difference being that a winching operation
> takes longer than cranking an engine.
>
> So, I got to thinking perhaps a standard battery would be better, and
> I could even save some cash to boot... What do you folks think?

Optima batteries, without a doubt. Contact Wrangler Power Products at
http://www.wranglernw.com/
They are very nice and very knowledgeable on 4WD electrical/charging
systems.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6