Re: RE: 5.2L/4.7L HP/TQ

From: Kyle Kozubal (grndak4x4@home.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 15:33:38 EDT

> As figured from the RT, usually 18-20% loss through the drivetrain, with
an
> auto. NV3500 runs approx 15%. So a 96/97 5.2L at 230 & 295 ft lbs. =
> 180-185 hp, and 236-250 ft lbs. My '95 SLT 5 speed did
> 180 stock (220 hp x .82 = 180.4)...Finally got it up 220 hp at the rear
> wheels, and 325 ft lbs. (220 / .82 = Hp at Fly wheel or 268-270 hp). My
RT
> currently is running 240 rwhp & 345 ft lbs., or 240 / .80 = ~300 hp & 431
ft
> lbs.
>
> Figures for the 4.7 with newer tranmission will be similar to the 5.2L,
+ -
> 5-6 hp.

Thanks for the info. From what I have read and seen, the 5.2L V8 just
responds very well to various modifications and will yeild some impressive
gains without having to go internal; modded TB, headers, intake kit/K&N open
element, free flowing exhaust, etc. Maybe this is due to the fact though
that the 4.7L V8 is rather new and companies are having hard times creating
and implementing worthwhile modifications. I mean, from what I have seen the
headers shouldnt even be touched and they exhaust system is rather decent
also, so this really leaves just adding a TB and a cold ait intake setup,
right? It just seems by adding some rather minor parts(performance-wise) to
the 318 that the hp/torque figures rise rather nicely. Plus for maintenance
is overall user friendly-ness, the 5.2L is nicer to work on. Of course then
also, the 4.7L does need dist cap/rotor maintenance and the plugs are setup
to run for 100,000 miles, but I am still a die hard 'old school' Magnum
engine guy and dont mind changing things like plugs/wires/dist caps/rotors.
Still waiting for someone to convince me to buy a truck with the 4.7L V8 in
it..........anyone? Are there any towing/payload differences between these
two engines?
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6