Re: Re: Tail Gate Open light

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 09:49:40 EDT

"Bill" <wpruitt1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
: Great idea!
: I have some of these switches, and they activate at 1" or less. Got double
: stick tape on the backs too, with holes for screws of desired. Checked my
: tailgate, and there are numerous mounting possibilities.

: Wouldn't it also be easy to tie it into the "door ajar" circuit?
: Except I just looked at the doors on my 01 QC, and I see no obvious switches
: to tie into.
: Must be a parallel circuit no? How does the system know when the door is
: shut?

  Generally, there is a pin switch which has a single wire in it; when the
door is opened, the wire is grounded. If you found a switch you could use
that would ground when the tailgate is open, you could probably run a wire
from it and splice into one of the door pin switches.

   Those of you with the newer daks who are interested in doing this might
want to pull the instrument panel apart and see if its possible to just
mount a superbright LED (or a small bulb) behind the durango "tail gate
open" blank. It would be a fairly simple circuit to just turn on that LED
when the tailgate is open. No need to try to interface with the PCM or
anything.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'