Overheating

From: Ray Sulich (ray.sulich@snet.net)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 23:37:19 EDT

Took the truck out this afternoon and all of a sudden my 6 year old son
tells me that water is leaking into the truck. I looked at what he was
pointing to, and yes water was leaking into the truck. I had the AC on but
this was alot of water (no rain going on). I got home and noticed the
truck was idling really high. I glanced at the temp meter, and found it
almost pegged. I shut the truck down and found no leakage around the water
pump. Guessed the thermostat went south. The truck has done this before
but only twice when it was idling in the driveway. Shutting it down and
letting it cool off normally solved the problem. Not this time. I
replaced the t-stat and now things seem back to normal. I tested the old
t-stat in a pot on the stove and it seemed to work fine. Is there a way to
check you water pump besides the normal weep hole way? I have no water
pressure gage on the truck. I started the truck with the radiator cap off
and it seems to be moving water. Any other ideas on what could be the
problem. I HOPE I have it solved with the t-stat replacement but I'd like
to hear any ideas that you have.