Re: OT - Best Daily driver sports coupe

From: Ransom T Holbrook (ransom@setel.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 17:07:41 EDT

A general comment about the f-bodys. Somewhere around the house here I have
an article from one of my many hot rod rags about taking a 97+ f-body into
the 10s N/A and the phases the group did to achieve it. The problem that
really stood out to me was the durablility. The group was having to rebuild
the trans every 6th run and replace the rearend every 10th run (until they
repalced it with a 9" Ford). The engine was a little better, but I believe
that went through 4 different engines in the few months it took.

The problem in my opinion (for what it is worth) is weight, the F-bodys are
HEAVY .. the problem is the SN-95 'stangs are 'fat' also. If I was looking
a street machine that run 10s and didn't care about how new it was, I would
consider a fox-body 'stang and build a 347 or 331..lot's and lot's of
cheaper performance parts are available .. a lot more than my 4.7L DAK :)