RE: piston to valve clearance for 5.2

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@gd-wts.com)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 09:18:11 EDT

John,
You should be ok, but the only real sure way is to measure the clearance.
You can take and drop in a solid lifter, then insert a piece of thick
plumbers solder wire into the cylinder and get it compressed between the
piston and the valves when they open. Then mic the clearance you have.
This will tell you for sure since every engine will be slightly different.

My cam is running .544" lift on both the intake and exhaust. You should
have a minimum of .060" clearance. I forgot to check mine until after I had
everything assembled, and just checked it under the hydraulic lifter. This
is not the correct way to do this, as the hydraulic piston compresses and
gives you a false reading. But since it measured .100", I figured I was
safe. Running like a charm.
Rich - Ashburn, VA