Fumoto Valve Woes

From: Alek Benedict (alek@sigecom.net)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 19:15:40 EDT

What a day, what a day. And I've only been up 2.5 hours. :(

I got my Fumoto oil drain valve in the mail today, and I was
so happy that I rushed right out and drained my oil. Got the
oil drained, put the new filter on [WIX of course] and went
to put the valve in.

Well, I could write something drawn-out and melodramatic, but
suffice to say, the thing didn't fit. Why did I order one that
didn't fit? Funny you should ask..

When I did the first oil change on my truck after I purchased it, I
tried the valve I had in my RX-7 - an F-106. The diameter seemed
right, but it wouldn't go in all the way, because the thread pitch
was wrong. Okay, no big deal, I traded it to a friend for a tach
that's now in my truck.

When I decided to buy a valve to fit my truck, I bought a new
drain plug and measured the thread pitch. Looked like 1.25mm. I
SHOULD have measured the diameter, but I didn't.

I looked on Fumoto's website, and they said the F-106 [the one I had
on my RX-7] was a 14mm x 1mm. So I thought I needed an F-111, which
is a 14mm x 1.25mm. [Are ya following this? ;p ]

So that's what I ordered, and got in the mail today. And that's what
doesn't fit.

My dad happened to be out in the garage while I was changing my oil,
and I asked him about it. He whipped out his set of digital calipters
[why I didn't do this in the first place I have no idea]. It looks
like the proper size is 1/2" x 20. I checked on the Fumoto website,
and it lists the F-101 [which is 1/2" x 20] as being for "all other
Dodge engines." So, I guess I'll give that one a whirl.

I apologize if this message is a little erratic. I had originally
intended to complain about how shoddy Fumoto's website is, but as
it turns out maybe it's not that bad.

Sigh.

--
Alek Benedict with a techno beat.