Auto tranny noise in reverse

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 13:51:27 EDT

  I don't know much about auto trannies, so I thought someone here might
have some insight. Lately, my Ram (318 Magnum w/A518 tranny) makes a
strange sound when I put it in reverse. It doesn't actually happen
when I shift into reverse, the sound only happens when I apply power.
(So its really evident backing up a hill, for example.) The sound is
hard to describe; it sounds sort've like fluid fluttering through an
orifice, like when your wheels are at full lock, or sometimes the
plumbing in a house will do it when you turn on the tap. Its a kind've
moaning, whining sound. It is much more prevalent when the truck
is cold. Once I've been driving a while, it doesn't seem to do it, or
doesn't do it as much anyway.

  If it'll help, I can go record the sound and put it in mp3 format so
you can hear it for yourself.

  Also, the tranny seems rather hesitant to shift at times. Sometimes
it'll stay in a gear when really it should be upshifting; I'll have to
give it some gas and let off to convince it to shift. I've got an
extended warranty on it so I could take it to the dealer, but I
thought I'd get some opinions here first. Plus, I don't want to take it
in this close to the BBQ, I'll wait until after if I do. I did check the
tranny fluid by parking in a level place, running the gear selector
through all the gears, leaving it in neutral, and checking the dipstick
with the engine running. Its right where its supposed to be, and the fluid
is a light red, and doesn't smell burnt or anything.

  Oh, the truck is a '92 w/about 50,000 miles. It does get used for
snowplowing in the winter (not commercially).

  Any thoughts?

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | Affiliations: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA; Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '92 Ram 150 4x4 V8, '96 Dakota V8, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly 447 | `------------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'