Re: Car Ware...BEWARE

From: Chris and/or Kathy Carton (carton@madriver.com)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 13:34:52 EDT

Very good advice Bill. These are not DOT approved, and yes there could be a
situation in some states. Everyone interested in these should do a little
investigating regarding their local laws. I have already peaked the
interest of the local Sheriff's Dept., but so far, they have not had a valid
reason to pull me over, but I know that if they did a little reading, they
could. I have chosen to once again push my luck and add a set of these
lenses and wait to see what happens. As for the posts regarding Carwear, I
don't think these are from there.

Kathy

www.cruznlo.com

I am not a lawyer, nor am I any more knowledgeable on this matter than 60
minutes of reading various websites can make a person. But...I would not
want to be in a serious accident with modified and "possibly" non-compliant
safety equipment. In this day and age the lawyers are just too hungry.

It "appears" that clear tail light assemblies are not in compliance with
federal safety standards. Are the clear turn signal assemblies
non-compliant? Is it a problem with law enforcement? I don't know. But I
tell you this, in my opinion, if a cop wants to check you out, clear
lighting assemblies might just give him/her a reason.

I once had tail light covers on the back of my DAK. They looked pretty
cool. Then one day I saw another car get rear-ended. Not bad, but several
thousand dollars in damage. I got to thinking, and took my covers off. I
want my stop lights to be as bright and as red as possible.

I am not saying don't buy the turn signal assemblies. Make your own
decision. But at least now it will be a somewhat informed decision.

Bill Pruitt