Re: Fast and the Furious - thumbs down.

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 15:34:33 EDT

I know Jayson Woodruff and I have kicked our fair share of rice butt at
autocrosses. And the legendary Gary Pinkley, if he'd ever show up again,
is the original rice steamer (in a V6 no less).

It's pretty cool to see ricers get run over by a Dodge Dakota not only in
acceleration, but in handling.

On the street I have way way more fun than I should playing with civics on
two lane freeway onramps and such. It's amazing the number of blown shifts
these guys make when they look up to see a dakota in a four wheel drift
blowing by their outside in a loop onramp or transition.

-STE

BTW-I liked the movie, yes, I caught flaw after flaw, yes, I can't much
stand for fart pipes, but that's what these kids have so don't criticize
the movie over showing it. The trucker thing was spiced up for Hollywood,
big shock. Note though that the charger was the only 9 second car in the
film according to film dialogue. It also scared the crap out of the
toughest ricer guy in the movie. Nobody bagged on that charger, it was the
"ultimate car" in the movie.

Hollywood is hopeless in their arrogance. It would have been so easy to
make this movie considerably better. Decent acting, decent script, decent
cinematography, but all the irritating little bits of stupidity. Any
knowledgeble consultant would have corrected them, but the director
obviously didn't care about accuracy.

John Frankenheimer was a true car guy. And avid race fan who once dreamed
of being a race car driver. With all his knowledge and understanding of
Formula One, he still consulted with the top people in the sport and more
importantly, HE LISTENED TO THEM!!! The result of course was the classic
Grand Prix. Sad that current producers and directors rely so much on
poetic license even when it's not necessary to the movie.