Re: Flex-a-lite Black Magic fan #150 for sale

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 19:20:08 EDT

Please explain. I don't see how a lower temp stat is going to keep the truck
cool, if a 180 fails to keep the truck under 240. The 180 is open and
flowing big time by the time it hits 200. The 160 stat is going to open
sooner, but if the fan isn't pulling enough air to keep the radiator cool,
then the cooler stat isn't going to solve that. As soon as I start moving,
more air through the radiator, the coolant temp drops fast. I can go from
240 back down to about 185 in less than 5 minutes. I need more air through
the radiator. FWIW, I have the factory heavy duty package which includes a
tranny cooler mounted between the radiator and A/C condenser. Maybe this is
what's causing the problem. I don't know.

Water restrictor. I looked at this on Moroso's site and looks like this is
going to make it harder for the coolant to leave the engine. If this is
true, then the engine will run even hotter because by the time the coolant
hits the radiator, it's going to be even hotter, and I can't cool down what
I have right now.

What I do know is that I must get the truck back to a reliable situation or
I'm going to have big problems very soon. And, I have to do this on a very
limited budget. Since the factory fan provided more than enough cooling, and
the electric doesn't, I'm going back to what works.

Guys, I don't mean to sound like a dick right now. I'm just very frustrated
by the fact that this fan is unable to keep my truck cool in our Texas
summers in stop and go traffic. Moving down the highway, or through town,
everything works fine. But in stop and go traffic, it's not cutting it.
Imagine what would happen if I tried to creep down a rocky trail. The truck
would probably boil over, or worse yet, burst the end caps on the radiator.
I'm just a little miffed that unless someone has been through what I'm going
through, and has an easy and cheap solution, I'm going to have to bolt that
HP sucking factory fan back on.

John