Re: Flex-a-lite Black Magic fan #150 for sale

From: Charles Smith (Dak99RT@home.net)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 15:34:44 EDT

John, a few things. First a water restricter will flow as much or more than
a fully open thermostat. The reason it may work better is the cooling is
done right away (when the truck is moving or the electric fan is on) you
don't have to wait for the temps to raise until the thermostat opens. This
being said (as explained to me) I went ahead and installed the red (largest
hole) water restrictor plate... I fired up the motor in the garage for 5
minutes checking for leaks... I went into the truck to check the temps
expecting a very low temp... it was reading just over halfway or about 220!
Not good for only 5 minutes. This was with the A/C off, electric fan off and
the temp outside was 75 degrees. I took the truck out for a spin.... a soon
as I started to move the temps plunged to about 150 as long as I was
moving... (just as yours does) I was happy with the temps for the most
part... except when I came to a stop or in traffic they went back up to 210
or halfway on the gauge. (no bad but not great) I put the A/C on and took
the truck home and parked it with the motor running and the A/C on.... the
temp slowly crept up to 3/4 gauge. All in all not much better than the 180
stat I had in there. I cannot really recommend this as a fix now... I
apologize. It helps but not enough. I also think one of my problems is that
the fan thermostat switch is set to kick on at 170 degrees... the truck has
to run for a while before the fan kicks on. I am going to overide this
problem for now by adding a manual switch to turn the fan on at all times
when the truck is running. I think this will also help some. In the end....
an electric fan is not enough to cool the V-8 magnum at ALL times. One can
get away with it 99% of the time... but it's that 1% when you are stuck in
uphill traffic on a hot day that gets ya. If your V-8 Magnum is your daily
driver.... I do not suggest an electric fan. Since I hardly use my truck and
race it more than I drive it... I am going to stick it out.
Charles Smith
99 RC R/T 360
13.64 @ 99 N/A