RE: "Advanced" question for the experts

From: Ronald Wong (ron-wong@home.com)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 23:13:14 EDT

1) How did you move the cam timing?
2) Std 2 bbl TB?
3) You can get more timing but you need the MP HP PCM. They may or may not
have made them for that yr/model. If they did, you'll have to hunt around
for one because they don't make them anymore. If they didn't make one
originally it may be possible to re-program the one you got. Call Mike
Leach at 714-639-5220 to see. If they can it's not cheap and you have to
send your PCM to him.
4) As for your 91 requirements, it's entirely possible that you've blown
your belly pan gasket. It may still be under warranty depending on mileage
and age, extended warranties etc. The way to check: Open your TB plates
and look down the bores with a flashlight. See a nice thick film of oil on
the bottom? If you do, you have found the source of part of your power loss
as well as the pinging. A blown belly pan gasket can sometimes be a pretty
big vacuum leak. Other checks you should make while you're at it. Vacuum
hoses, and little nipples that go on the intake manifold that sometimes fall
off causing a vacuum leak.
5) Performance problems can be caused by many things. You've got headers
and I assume the MPRB is a catback exhaust system. 1.6RR's maybe some,
maybe not. FIPK's good, make sure the filter's clean. Heads and TB are
probably your biggest bottlenecks especially in light of the headers. It's
hard to breathe out if you're not breathing in. And, of course, the PCM is
your other bottleneck in terms of performance. One would think the heads
would have gotten done prior to the TC but that's just me. I would
certainly consider a custom valve body (46RE) along with that TC, though.
Then, there's always SC'ing, but that's another chapter.
6) You'll get lots of expert opinions on this site, guaranteed.

Ron
00 PB SLT QC 4X2 5.9 46RE 3.92 LSD