Re: RE: "Advanced" question for the experts

From: Dave and Charlene (DOHCTurboIII@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 23:45:47 EDT

> 1) How did you move the cam timing?

offset keys

> 2) Std 2 bbl TB?

yep for now

> 3) You can get more timing but you need the MP HP PCM. They may or may
not
> have made them for that yr/model. If they did, you'll have to hunt around
> for one because they don't make them anymore. If they didn't make one
> originally it may be possible to re-program the one you got. Call Mike
> Leach at 714-639-5220 to see. If they can it's not cheap and you have to
> send your PCM to him.

It HAS the MP PCM as I stated.

> 4) As for your 91 requirements, it's entirely possible that you've blown
> your belly pan gasket. It may still be under warranty depending on
mileage
> and age, extended warranties etc. The way to check: Open your TB plates
> and look down the bores with a flashlight. See a nice thick film of oil
on
> the bottom? If you do, you have found the source of part of your power
loss
> as well as the pinging. A blown belly pan gasket can sometimes be a
pretty
> big vacuum leak. Other checks you should make while you're at it. Vacuum
> hoses, and little nipples that go on the intake manifold that sometimes
fall
> off causing a vacuum leak.

I'm a tech at a dealer so I know all about the gaskets, but thanks anyway.
The 98 5.9 Jeep was designed to use 91 anyway

> 5) Performance problems can be caused by many things. You've got headers
> and I assume the MPRB is a catback exhaust system. 1.6RR's maybe some,
> maybe not. FIPK's good, make sure the filter's clean. Heads and TB are
> probably your biggest bottlenecks especially in light of the headers.
It's
> hard to breathe out if you're not breathing in. And, of course, the PCM
is
> your other bottleneck in terms of performance. One would think the heads
> would have gotten done prior to the TC but that's just me. I would
> certainly consider a custom valve body (46RE) along with that TC, though.
> Then, there's always SC'ing, but that's another chapter.

Its not that its lacking in power, just seems to be way down in torque from
what I think it should be.I told him at the start to SC it but he thought it
was too much money.......now that he has spent this much, maybe not. He
can't do any of this himself either so he has been paying to have it done by
me at the dealer!

Dave St.Louis
            98 GRAND CHEROKEE LTD. 5.9L {14.82@91}
            89 LEBARON GTC Conv. Intercooled 2.5 {14.13@95}