RE: "Advanced" question for the experts

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 00:32:58 EDT

Since you're a tech at a dealer (Dodge I presume), you should then know
that no two identical trucks run the same. (Thank DC for that
screw-up.) As for the performance, the time you posted is pretty
respectable for those mods.

Little screwy facts:

Dodge Dakota R/T - Run regular unleaded fuel
Dodge Durango R/T - Run Premium Fuel (Don't believe me...check the
owners manuals on both)

They're still based on the SAME 360 as in the Van and Ram trucks
(ok...and Durango's). Nothing fancy about the 360 anyway...it's a
workhorse engine unless you alter the internals (aka: Stroker Motor).

The 20-24 degrees is fine for WOT performance and it does slowly raise
to about 28 degrees at 4900-5000rpm. (Checked that with both my laptop
and scanner on a '99 R/T - Supercharged though.)

How did you check the mixture to verify that it's not leaning out at
higher RPM? (Simple question...nothing else.)

Now, getting to the point of feeling "dead" while driving, if you're
referring the sluggishness from idle to about 2400rpm, well...put a 2400
stall converter back in and that will be fixed. 2800+ for the street us
just plain silly.

Also, you didn't mention anything about a modified throttle body. All
those mods and a stock TB is really holding back that engine. Average
gains from a Flometrics Billet TB (on an R/T) is about .2 seconds
quicker in the 1/4 mile.

- Bernd
Supercharged '97 V6