Re: RE: "Advanced" question for the experts

From: Dave and Charlene (DOHCTurboIII@Sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 00:58:34 EDT

> Since you're a tech at a dealer (Dodge I presume), you should then know
> that no two identical trucks run the same. (Thank DC for that
> screw-up.) As for the performance, the time you posted is pretty
> respectable for those mods.

Yep foreman at a Dodge/Jeep dealer.And you think those times are OK?? I
would have thought high 13s with those mods. He ran 14.4s-3s without the
cam,convertor,exhaust,rockers, MPI intake and FIPK(he had a cobbled up
homemade deal on it).

> Little screwy facts:
>
> Dodge Dakota R/T - Run regular unleaded fuel
> Dodge Durango R/T - Run Premium Fuel (Don't believe me...check the
> owners manuals on both)
>
> They're still based on the SAME 360 as in the Van and Ram trucks
> (ok...and Durango's). Nothing fancy about the 360 anyway...it's a
> workhorse engine unless you alter the internals (aka: Stroker Motor).

Yep knew that.My Jeep needs the good stuff to,even says on the filler door..

> The 20-24 degrees is fine for WOT performance and it does slowly raise
> to about 28 degrees at 4900-5000rpm. (Checked that with both my laptop
> and scanner on a '99 R/T - Supercharged though.)

That seems low though for the MP PCM does it not???esp. when my stock Jeep
PCM goes as high as 31-32. BTW, this 99 MP PCM never went over 24deg.(at
wot)

> How did you check the mixture to verify that it's not leaning out at
> higher RPM? (Simple question...nothing else.)

I'm going by the O2 voltage,its about .90 at WOT

> Now, getting to the point of feeling "dead" while driving, if you're
> referring the sluggishness from idle to about 2400rpm, well...put a 2400
> stall converter back in and that will be fixed. 2800+ for the street us
> just plain silly.

I guess I should explain that better.its nice and snappy,and runs fine, just
seems to lack midrange torque,and doesn't seem to start making good power
till about 3500 or so.

> Also, you didn't mention anything about a modified throttle body. All
> those mods and a stock TB is really holding back that engine. Average
> gains from a Flometrics Billet TB (on an R/T) is about .2 seconds
> quicker in the 1/4 mile.

Yes I told him that and he has one coming. Thanks for all the info sofar!
                          Dave St.Louis
            98 GRAND CHEROKEE LTD. 5.9L {14.82@91}
            89 LEBARON GTC Conv. Intercooled 2.5 {14.13@95}
            88 SHADOW ES Intercooled 16V DOHC 2.2 {11.95@122}