Re: Dying Fuel Pump?

From: Pukeloser@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 20:09:14 EDT

Dont worry too much about it, my 95 dak make the fuel pump whine, it has for
about four years now. The reason it only does it twice (sometimes it'll do it
three times) when you turn the ignition on is that it is building up the fuel
pressure. This doesnt mean tht the pump itself is going bad but that the
plunger/stop (which is supposed to hold the fuel pressure when you turn your
engine off) is not working well. All that means is that you might have to
turn your ignition on/off/on again to build the pressure before you start it.
You dont have to but it will require far less cranking if you do. You could
replace your pump if you want, but for me it isn't worth the expense. One way
to test it is to check your fuel line static pressure (pressure while the
truck is idling, it should be around 30 psi (I'll have to check on that
number to be sure) you can get a pressure gauge at the parts store and it
simply attatches to the nipple on the fuel rail.

John S

95 cc 318 auto, transgo shift kit, HE stage II TB and intake, HE 1418 cam,
1.6 Roller rockers, MSD digi6+, MSD HVC coil & 8.5 wires, Hp cap + rotor, MP
PCM, DT headers, Gibson exhaust (3" from headers back, no cat), 180 stat,
autolite 3923's, progear DR timing chain, 24# FMS injectors, auburn LSD, 4.10
gears, superior axles, K&N X-stream filter system, MP valve covers