Re: Dying Fuel Pump?

From: Pukeloser@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 18:12:21 EDT

Greg,

          I forgot to mention that when my truck was new (1995) I had the
problem of the pressure holding stop/plunger going bad. It went out
completely though and the result was that it took 8-10 seconds of cranking to
start the engine. I took it to the dealer several times and they said things
like "try using a better grade of fuel like 89 octane" to which I replied " I
already use 94 octane regularly". Five star service my ass! Anyway tehy
claimed that they couldn't recreate the long cranking when they tried it. So
as I was talking to teh service manager and getting into my truck I turned
the key and, low and behold, 10 seconds of cranking to get the engine to
start. Needless to say he was quite embaressed and they hooked it up to a
fuel pressure gauge and determined that the pressure holding stop/plunger was
bad so tehy replaced the fuel pump. I never had it go out completely again
but my truck does strat much quicker if I turn the ignition on/off/on again (
less than a second of cranking as opposed to 4-5 seconds)
My point is that you could probably get it replaced if it is still under
warranty.

John S

95 cc 5.2 auto, transgo shift kit, 4.10 gears, auburn LSD, superior axles, MP
PCM, DT headers, Gison exhaust (3" from headers back, no cat) MSD digi6+
ignition, NSD HVC coil, MSD 8.5 wires, HD cap&rotor, autolite 3923's, K&N
X-stream filter (14x3.5), 180 stat, 1 quart oil filter (relocated), Hughes
stage II TB and intake manifold, Hughes 1418 cam, 1.6 rockers, progear DR
timing chain, MP valve covers