Re: 2nd Battery Install

From: Jim Gifford (jim@giffords.net)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 01:07:50 EDT

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 04:26:50AM -0000, M Smith wrote:

> I wouldn't use the welding cable........this is
> a disaster waiting to happen - welding cable has very fine copper "hairs",
> prone to corrosion and the plastic jacket is neither water or oil proof.
> Lots of future problems! I do know one guy that used it and wrapped it
> electrical tape then ran it through a garden hose........sheesh, just get
> the marine cable!

Just a few notes... The fine copper will carry more current than
the thicker copper due to the skin effect. Electrons only move
along the outside molecules of a wire, so more smaller wires in
the same space will provide less resistance and allow more current
flow than fewer large wires.

Also, unless you are running your wires where you tend to spill
oil or gas, or where you have a leak, you don't need to worry about
the rubber insulation breaking down. Make sure to tape it good in
any place where there is a LOT of chemicals/petroleum/solvents.

As for corrosion, you only have to worry about that at the connectors.
The quantity of wires makes no difference here. The important
thing is to do a GOOD JOB with the connectors. You can solder the
end before putting it in the connector, or use an anti-oxidant in
the connector. Also, heat shrinking the connector is VERY important.

Personally, I used 1/0 welder wire to relocate the battery for my
Probe to the back seat area. I used good copper connectors, and
some de-ox. I crimped the connector down real good (hammer and
chisel were very important here). Then, I put some good thick
heat-shrink tubing over the connector pieces. It looks real good,
and is mechanically and electrically sound.

> Replace the battery cables with a top quality marine cable,
> silver tinned copper,use at least 1/0 AWG cable. With your new cables cut to
> length, affix silicone filled heat shrink tubing and then crimp on using the
> best quality marine terminals to both ends. Then, heat shrink ther tubing
> over the wire and connector. "West Marine"
> sells high quality marine wire and conectors. A good marine supplier should
> be able to steer you in the right direction.

I wish I could afford something like this. Sounds sweet! :)

jim