Re: Finally recovering from Carlisle

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 19:58:56 EDT

Andy Levy <andylevy@yahoo.com> wrote:
: Whew! What a weekend! Between the BBQ last weekend and Carlisle this
: weekend, I think I'm overstimulated. And thoroughly sunburned.

: For next year, if we can get committments early on, what do people think
: about getting a block of rooms a little closer to the show and all
: together? I really wish we could have gotten all the DMLers together at
: least for a group photo or something.

  The DML usually hangs out at the Rodeway Inn in Dillsburg, but for
some reason not this year ?? The only DMLers there were myself, Chris
Saltzman, and Jim Knox (honorary DML member). There's a great restauraunt
next door (Paul's Flapjack Barn, I believe its called) and we had a
great time last year having breakfast together every day and dinner
too. The hotel parking lot was chock full of Daks. What happened
this year???? The hotel is only about 10 mins from Carlisle, and
its a nice easy drive, great for convoying.

  I'm all for getting a block of rooms, or at least getting in at
the same hotel. If anybody knows of a better place than Dillsburg,
we can try there, otherwise I've been very pleased with that hotel.
(I think someone mentioned the place Peter stayed at this year in
Harrisburg, but I'm not sure I want to drive a half an hour each
way every day...)

  Another helpful hint... If we want to do this, we should start
early. As many people have noticed, hotel rooms near Carlisle get a
bit pricey around show time. The trick is to reserve way in advance
before they know the show dates. :-) I paid $35-40 per night for
two people in a room with two double beds at Dillsburg. I reserved
in August of 2000. :-) If we need someone to coordinate this I'd be
happy to volunteer, but I would suggest just having everyone register
themselves will probably be the easiest, so we don't get stuck with
unused rooms, have to figure out the payment method, etc. Its
real easy to reserve a room via the Internet.

--

-Jon-

.---- Jon Steiger ------ jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -----. | I'm the: AOPA, DoD, EAA, NMA, NRA, SPA, USUA. Rec & UL Pilot - SEL | | '70 Barracuda, '92 Ram 4x4, '96 Dakota, '96 Intruder 1400, '96 FireFly | `----------------------------------------- http://www.jonsteiger.com ----'