Re: V6 problems

From: ABeerCan@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 16:31:10 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/01 2:17:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
miggitymike@fast4x4.net writes:

<< BUT... the truck is SOOOOOOO SLLOOOOWW now. This used to be a mid 15sec
6er,
 now it's very sluggish. Won't even break the tires loose on a turn. It's
 runnin' mega-rich and lots of black smoke comes out of the tailpipe when he
 gooses it. I don't *think* it's tranny related, but who knows...
 any suggestions?

 any help would be greatly appreciated!

 -miggity >>

Miggity,
    Part of the problem is the difference in the first gear ratio between an
A-500 and an A-518. The A-500 has a 2.74:1 1st, 1.54:1 2nd gear ratios vs.
the A-518's ratios of 2.45:1 1st and a 1.45:1 2nd. The numerically higher
first and second will in effect slow his truck off the line since he no
longer has the gear reduction effect to increase his off the line
capabilites. This could account for the black smoke pouring out as the
computer thinks it is turning the first and second ratios of the A-500, but
in reality it is turning the higher ratios of the A-518. Kinda like when you
have a standard and you try to start out in second rather than first. It is
going to be slow as heck (compared to first) and the engine will more than
likely be running very rich at that time. Just something to kick around for
a while. The lower 1st and 2nd ratios are the reason that I chose to stick
with a heavily modified A-518 to put behind my blown 408. It really helps to
get the truck off the line and moving towards the final 1/4 mile lights. HTH

The other Will
"I am left to sit here and wonder, just what were the last thoughts going
through that deer's mind? Was it "Oh *hit!!" Or just possibly could it have
been "Dayum! What a nice looking fast a** Gen-II Dakota!" We may never
know."