Re: transfer case

From: Mr. Plow (adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 19:07:36 EDT

Hey Jason,

After hearing what the guy had to say, have you considered going to another
mechanic to get a second opinion?
I'd be a little concerned that the guy had used somewhat incorrect language
when descibing the problem. The other thing i like to do is have them
"show" me the problem when it's still on the hoist, but you gotta have a lot
of free time to do this.
I say get the second opinion, because it could always be something minor
like the u-joints making the clunking, that's what i would have them check
first. It's a pretty cheap replacement part, get them to replace both
u-joints at the same time. If one has gone, the other one probably will
fairly soon, even though it looks ok now. It's the labour the is the big
part of that type of repair. Get them to replace both to save you some
future aggravation and money.

Then again, i am no mechanic, and obviously haven't taken a look at your
Dak. Follow what your gut is telling you, do you think these guys are
trying to rip you off?

The Adam Blaster