transfer case

From: Jason Mooberry (hiei@bigfoot.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 16:04:40 EDT

I started getting some clunking in the rear driveline under acceleration
this past weekend. So I took it in this morning....the shop called back and
said the "bands" in the transfer case were worn, and that was causing it.
I looked at an exploded view of the transfer case in the manual I have, and
the only thing that could possibly be construed as a "band" is the drive
chain. This has little relevance, but it's annoying when the guy at the
shop doesn't even know what he's talking about. Anyway, $1000 for a new
transfer case, and 200 bucks to put it in. I just thought I'd post this as
kind of an FYI thing, but I was also curious what you all thought. Anyway, I
imagine I have little choice...but has anyone else had to have their t-case
replaced???

--
Jason Mooberry
[1994 3.9 SLT manual 4x4]