Re: Stock fan....

From: TonyC (acellan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 08:57:47 EDT

The fan is connected thru a viscous coupler to the pulley. This viscous
coupler is liquid filled.
When the liquid is warmed up (higher engine temp, underhood temp, etc) it
becomes thicker
which in turn causes the fan to slip less, which equates to faster fan rpm
and that noise you hear.
You may also notice this on cold startup. This is normal. If you need to
check the coupler,
(with the engine off!!) spin the fan by hand, if the fan will spin more than
5 rotations, replace it.

And yes when it does engage, it will take more power to turn it.

TonyC