Re: Re: Re: Wrecked Dak: UPDATE

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 16:25:31 EDT

| I'm going to talk to my lawyer on Monday. I didn't want to involve him,
but
| I have too much at risk not to cover all the bases.

Depending on your relationship with the lawyer, sometimes you can engage
him as part of a "bluff" and not incur too much cost. I had a friend who
used another friend of mine who is a good litigator. He just fired off
some threatening letters and a couple of follow up calls. The otherside's
insurance company had been playing hardball with my friend. In the end
they came through and paid top dollar for the totalled car, some damaged
accessories, and her rental car for the 6 weeks it took for them to figure
out what to do with the car. There position changed from "not our fault"
to "Okay, but $1300 damage and no rentals" to "$6K for your thrashed old
car and we'll cover your $900 rental bill". She was pretty happy about
spending $250 on the lawyer.

BUT!!! Obviously, this worked becuase she was able to find somebody
experienced at working an insurance company for was willing to do some
legitimate work and only charge her an hour. If you don't have a
pre-existing relationship with an honest lawyer (don't laugh), that may be
hard or impossible to find.

Good luck, I don't envy anybody having to go through insurance company
hell....

-STE