Re: ATF (does Plus 3 == 7176?)

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 19:34:34 EDT

At 10:01 PM 7/28/01 +0000, you wrote:
>Quick question... I went looking for some 7176 ATF for my transfer
>case. Canadian Tire had some stuff that said it matched Chrysler ATF
>Plus, Plus 2 and Plus 3, but didn't say a thing about 7176.
>Is it the same stuff? Thanks, Jason

Hiho, Jason

Doesn't look like anyone will say type 7176 = atf +3 directly.

In a way, type 7176 is a subset of atf +3 (how's that from an
retired-ex-Math teacher?).

DaimlerChrysler has had their own ATF specifications for many years,
but as of 1997, Chrysler owners' manuals no longer list DEXRON as
an acceptable replacement. ATF+3 is a readily available mineral
oil-based ATF that is suitable in any application calling for
ATF PLUS®, ATF+2®, or a Type 7176® fluid.

Vehicles manufactured after 1999 require ATF+4®, a synthetic-based
ATF only available through DaimlerChrysler.

The MotorMaster ATF+3 from Canadian Tire is aok. I used it before
going to Amsoil ATF +4 (so much for 'only available thru DC).

If you can wait til Sep. 15, I've 7 liters of the Canadian Tire ATF+3
in the basement.

Bob