Re: cleaned TB now have check engine light, HELP!?

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 17:00:32 EDT

At 01:08 PM 7/30/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Well, this saturday I was over at a fellow dak owner's
>place and we were cleaning up our engines and such. We
>both took of our TBs and cleaned them and the sensors
>and put them back on.
>
>Now, when I started up my truck, it wouldn't start
>the first time. Then I tried starting it up again and
>just pumped the gas a few times and it started up, but
>very roughly. Then my check engine light came on. I
>tried resetting the computer at least 4 different
>times, but no luck.
>
>I went out this morning and took everything back apart
>and checked everything over to make sure it was all
>connected. Started it up, and it started, but the
>check engine light still was on.
>
>What are the sensors on the TB for? I'm guessing one
>of the is the throttle positioning sensor(on the side
>of the Tb, but what are the other two? Whould these
>screw it up and cause the check engine light to come
>on? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The one near the firewall is the Idle Air Controller (IAC) and
the one in the front is the MAP sensor.

Did you remove the sensors from the tb as well as the tb?

The IAC can get damaged if the plunger is turned. The MAP
sensor has a vacuum hose that plugs into the intake manifold.
If not tightly attached to either the sensor or manifold, there would
be a vacuum leak and could cause problems.

Is your Dak starting and running properly now? If it is and
assuming there are no faults, it would take about 40 'driving cycles'
for the MIL to go out. An appropriate scanner can turn the MIL
of as well.

Bob Tom Burlington, Ont., Canada
'97 Dakota Sport, 4x2, CC, Flame red, 5.2L, auto., 3.92SG