Re: Taking apart shifter base

From: TonyC (acellan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 19:34:57 EDT

from the 98 service manual:
shift boot
1) using a small flat blade screwdriver, pry out the shift ball insert
2) remove the nut attaching the shift knob to the gear shifter
3) pull knob off of shifter
4) lift up corner of shift boot from bezel, and pull up shift boot
5) seperate shift boot from gear shifter

shift bezel
1) remove shift boot(s) see above
2) lift cup holder and remove screws underneath
3) remove screw under shift boot attching patch plate to floor pan
4) disengage 4wd shift indicator lamp if equipped
5) seperate bezel from vehicle

Hope this helps. Try not to pull anythong too hard if you can't see how its
attached.
A mirror and flashlight can be useful here.

Good luck
TonyC