Check Engine Light = Engine Too Cold For Too Long

From: Paul Macey (pmacey@ans.net)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 15:24:57 EDT

Subject line says it all. Yellow Check engine symbol came on upon startup
last night after my truck sat in the hot parking lot at work, all day.

Service dept reset the code on my 2001 4.7, said all should be fine but
scheduled a tentative appt for 8/20 to check into it further (they allowed
me to stop by today with no appt to check the code and clear it)

I have a Robert Shaw GT755-180 t-stat and Jet Chip II that have been
installed for at least a month. The temp gauge has and currently is, at
the same reading since these installs, the truck's performance remains the
same.

The t-stat appears to be functioning normal, during startup, it runs
smooth, same idle as always, and warms up to operating temp as it always
has before...looks like it is not stuck open or remaining closed, right?

Thoughts on my next step? Just drive the truck till 8/20 to see if the
check engine light comes on again? Go under the covers and check the
t-stat? Bring it for service w/o the Jet Chip and let them pull the t-stat
and possibly charge me for that service? Allow them to re-install the
stock 190 t-stat that I kept? Replace the 180 t-stat (are these GT755-180s
bullet proof?). Call Jet Chip and describe the problem and ask for a new
chip? Reset the PCM (I know this would have cleared the original code)

I hate to have the service dept or me go under the covers if it can be
avoided at all but I also don't want to cause any potential problems with
the engine...just a quirk in the PCM code or temporary problem with the
t-stat/chip?

Anyone else have the same code and symptoms? If so, what was your final
fix?

Thanks in advance!