rear disc brakes

From: Darren Asuncion (dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 03 2001 - 22:25:38 EDT

Bob, Thanks for the reply.

The problem I have w/ the drum brakes on my Dak is that they don't have
enough stopping power especially when the bed is loaded (its loaded often).
The front brakes seem strong enough as they have been known lock-up and
cause the 4wheel ABS to kick in. I've disabled the 4wheel ABS to see if the
brakes are capable of locking all the wheels up, and only the front brakes
locked up (bed was empty for this test!). This has been the case since my
truck was new, and others w/ Gen III Daks I know here have the same
complaint. Initially I thought the rear brakes were out of adjustment, and
the dealership (and a Midas shop) have verified that they were adjusted and
operating normally. I have yet to check on my own, haven't had time. I'm
wondering if maybe there's a proportioning valve somewhere that might be
faulty... Its pretty bad when my dad's '92 Chevy K1500 can outstop my
Dakota. Also another reason for wanting to go w/ discs is I tend to take my
truck off-road, and the drum brakes simply aren't effective when backing
up...this can be dangerous sometimes. But anyway, if you have any other
suggestions or ideas for where to get disc (or better) brakes, that would be
awesome! Thanks again for the reply!

Darren Asuncion
dakotaguy1999@yahoo.com
Kodiak, AK
'99 Intense Blue CC Sport +, 4x4, 5.2 V8, 44RE auto, 3.55 lsd (8.25"),
4wheel ABS, 31" BFG All-terrain KO
http://www.geocities.com/dakotaguy1999/dakota.html

Darren,

Don't think you'll find much for less than what SSBrakes is asking. It
hasn't been a high demand item, so not many companies stepping up to the
plate to make them.

Keep in mind that on the Dakota, you're really getting appearance more
than anything. Rear disc on that light rear end won't gain you much. For
a significant improvement in braking you want to upsize the fronts by 2"
diameter, but again not much available in the aftermarket yet. I think
you'll be hearing about more Viper brake conversions in the very near
future, like the set Harmon just installed, but I'm not sure how widely
those will be available. It will only be complete 4 wheel swaps and it
won't be cheap.

Bob