Re: Info on the HO 4.7

From: Steven T. Ekstrand (cyberlaw@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 13:20:48 EDT

Since when is a forged crank lighter than a Cast crank???
You can modify a forged crank
But stock forged to stock cast, I actually thought the Forged was heavier.
Forged Pistons certainly are. Again unmodified OEM to unmodified OEM.

Sounds like compression is the big issue. We had a Chrysler engineer
comment early on with the 4.7 that since it didn't have a knock sensor
designed for it, yet. That compression was set very conservative (after the
old Magnum experience). The engines actually came in at less than the
published spec. He said the first thing he would do to a 4.7 in terms of
bang for buck hop ups would be to mill the heads.

The camshaft profile is also very very conservative.
With 235 in lopo form, its not hard to imagine a RACY version with 9.7
compression, hotter cams, bigger TB and freer flowing exhaust manifolds
making the 4.7 a mini killer.

But a forged crank as the source of more power? That is more likely to be
for reliability than for power in OEM form.