To Supercharge or NOT to.......

From: Ken Hoffman (kenh@photocenterimaging.com)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2001 - 19:19:20 EDT

Well Kids,
Now that I've smashed my Dak, I can now cut into it without guilt. So...
..I'm in the process of trying to decide on a supercharger kit. Several
people have Powerdyne units, but I am particularly interested in the Kenne
Bell setup. Why, well I gotta admit that I like the look better, but
also the fact that there is no internal belt. As there don't seem to be
many sources for info out there on the KB, I'm not sure of the lubrication
sys for the KB (Whipple). Permanently sealed or self contained/ engine
bleed.
I don't race my truck. I run lots of highway miles towing or carrying
heavy loads so I want to be able to use a bypass valve (I think the KB has
an integral bypass). Also, I need a long service life unit, I know, who
doesn't but my impression so far is that the powerdyne is more appropriate
for racing. At this point I'm just puttin my feelers out so any input or
story is appreciated. I also realize that this simply may not be the way
to go w/ my particular application.

BTW- as a result of my recent brake failure and resulting accident- I am
working on a rear disk conversion w/ a mechanical e brake. I have already
had my front rotors vented and will be testing them. I will finally have
some before and after hard #s on stopping distances. I will keep you guys
posted.

As always-happy motoring!
Ken H
Simi Valley CA